Shun Engetsu Santoku Knife 18cm
This exclusive, limited edition Santoku knife is from the Shun Engetsu range of knives. The Engetsu or "Full Moon" range was specifically crafted for the 20th Anniversary and has Damascus layers in a stunning pattern that are visible on the highly polished blade. Beyond the obviously stunning aesthetic, these knives are state of the art.
The 71 layers of Dual Core is a mixture of VG2 and VG10 steel. The design, toughness and durability of the heel and tip are different than the middle of the blade, in effect giving you different zones of performance where required. The higher density middle section also has the benefit of generating fine micro serrations which leads to food-releasing properties that enable precision slicing (reducing loss of natural juices). You can find additional information under the specifications tab.
A santoku is a Japanese all-purpose kitchen knife. Like a chefs knife, the santoku is used for just about every cutting job in the kitchen. The name means “three virtues.” Depending on who you ask, the name refers either to the three types of foods it works well with—vegetables, proteins, and fruit—or for the three types of cuts at which it excels—slicing, dicing, and chopping.
All Shun Engetsu knife purchases come in a beautifully presented wooden gift box.
- Cutting Edge: Double beveled 16° cutting angle each side
- Steel: Dual-core construction with 71 alternating micro layers of high-carbon, high-chromium VG10 and VG2 stainless steel that extends all the way to the edge.
- Hardness: 62 HRC
- Blade Length: 18cm
- Handle: Blue/black coloured PakkaWood® with a forged Shun logo stainless steel endcap
- Origin: Handcrafted in Japan
Key features include:
- Zone performance blade technology - 71 layers of Dual Core stainless steel. Design, toughness and durability of the heel and tip are different than the middle part, giving the end user different zones of performance where required.
- The middle part of the blade is high density. During use this generates fine micro serration and additional food releasing properties without losing the natural juices when precision slicing.
- The heel and spine are rounded, for pinch grip comfort.
- The endcap, sub-hilt and bolster together enables precision balancing of the handle.
One aspect of caring for your knives is maintaining the edge and, when needed, sharpening the blade. However, it is also important to be aware of how you are using your knives on a daily basis.
The cutting surface you are using will directly affect the blades edge. A good cutting board will help retain a sharp edge for substantially longer. Wood, wood composite and polyethylene boards are all excellent choices. Tile, ceramic, marble, granite, or any kind of glass cutting boards are poor choices and are very hard on your knives.
As with any lifetime investment, it is important to take the best care possible in order to prolong the life of your knife. Shun recommends that you protect your investment by hand-washing your blades with gentle dish soap. Do not use soaps with citrus extracts; they can promote rust. Rinse and towel dry immediately. Let the knives air dry for a few minutes before returning them to storage.
Never leave your knife sitting in a sink full of soapy water, metal does not respond well to being submerged in water for prolonged periods of time.
After you have washed and dried your knives, store them in a block, knife case, in-drawer tray, sheath, magnetic knife holder mounted on a wall, or in the original box. We do not recommend storing the knives unsheathed in a drawer, as this can be a potential hazard to the blades as well as your fingers.
In order to maximise the life of the blade, regular honing with a Shun Honing Steel will be necessary. Weekly honing will extend the time between sharpening significantly. When the time comes to sharpen these premium blades, we recommend using a Shun Whetstone, the Shun Electric Knife Sharpener (specifically designed to sharpen Shun’s 16° blade angle), or sending your knives to a professional sharpener.
A Shun retailer can recommend a professional sharpener or may be able to offer a sharpening service directly to you.
Following these simple tips will ensure your Shun knives are always ready to use and will continue to be enjoyed for many years to come. For more detailed information on care for your knife, please head to the "Use & Care" tab above.